Five years ago the marketing managers probably had their fingers more on the pulse of their business. Times have changed dramatically. Consider the infographic below showing the anatomy of a marketing executive. During any given week, a product marketing manager may be required to:
- Develop product positioning and messaging that differentiates products in the market.
- Ensure sales and partner enablement by communicating the value proposition of products and solutions to the internal and partner sales teams and develop the sales tools that support the selling process.
- Give product launch support where they will work in close sync with product management, plan the marketing launch of new products and releases and manage the cross-functional implementation of the outbound communication and sales enablement plan and related activities including related assets.
- Provide market intelligence and be the expert on buyers, how they buy and their buying criteria; be the expert on competition and how to crush them.
- Ensure effective demand generation by working with corporate marketing departments to develop the strategy and support the management of marketing programs that drive demand for products and be a responsible party for product level branding, messaging and positioning.
The hiring process for any marketing executive is a long arduous process if taken lightly can be the difference betweeen life and death of a business. This is one of the primary reasons companies reach out to us at Fennec Consulting as we provide an interim marketing executive or CMO who is ready to hit the ground running.
The difficulty in this world of new media is the bucketload of data, requirement for social media integration and culture changes as four generations are considered in the marketplace.
The marketing executive who excelled five years ago has been left behind. To better understand the world of marketing executives, Pepperdine University has created an infographic:
It is unfortunate the data shows that US marketers do not yet understand how to measure the ROI of SEO. This is a disappointment since the world searches for products and services via search engines before they will pick up a phone book. SEO offers excellent opportunities for measuring return on investement.
If you are a marketing executive who needs support, we encourage you to reach out and contact us.
If you are interested in an interim marketing executive or CMO for optimum support, we look forward to having a conversation.